Speed up construction of new hospital in KK: Eric
Lumpur, July 4, 2009: Sepanggar Member of Parliament, Datuk Eric
Majimbun, said the construction of a new general hospital in Kota
Kinabalu should be addressed urgently by the Government.
"The Government seems to be not handling the matter (the hospital
construction) seriously despite the fact that it involves the
health, life and death of the people in Sabah who have been
supporting the present Barisan Nasional government," he said in
seeking a discussion on speeding up as well as fixing the timeframe
for constructing the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH), which the
Government had declared unsafe for use on Oct 24 last year, during
presenting his adjournment speech at Parliament.
"The Government is indecisive...was it appropriate to take nearly
seven months for the Prime Minister to anno9unce the allocation
amounting to RM245 million on May 5 this year for the purchase of
the second Sabah Medical Centre (SMC) in Luyang?" he asked.
"This earlier allocation announced by the Premier was probably
not enough and thus the Health Minister followed up with another
announcement that the allocation for the purpose actually totalled
about RM280 million, with an additional increase of beds from 170 to
250 units and other facilities costing RM90 million...so the total
needed was actually RM370 million," he said.
Majimbun said the QEH is well-known for its specialist treatments
as well as advanced medical equipment and that it provided services
to not only the half a million city dwellers but also those from
other places across the State.
And after it was declared as unsafe, the whole building with
about 400 beds, rooms with hospital relief equipment as well as the
specialist clinics were seriously affected.
"And today, for more than 239 days, we don't have proper medical
services. Patients who require critical attention have their
immediate treatment postponed, outpatients who need the specialist
doctors' attention can no longer have it in the city but were
shifted to any of the hospitals in other districts which makes it
hared for their family members to accompany them due to the absence
"The hospital staff also have to put up with a working
environment that is not conducive, while there are patients forced
to sleep on the floor while getting treatment," he said.
The Government is supposed to act aptly by coming up a long-term
plan, he said, questioning whether the Government seriously wants to
build a Queen Elizabeth General Hospital to replace the Hospital
Mesra in Bukit Padang.
Deputy Minister of Health, Datuk Rosnah Rashid Shirlin, in
responding to this, said the Government at the moment is still
renting the SMC in Luyang and that over RM6 million had been spent
so far for the purpose.
She said the Ministry is still sorting out things for the
construction of a new building to replace the seven-storey building
which had been declared unsafe.
Aside from that, the Ministry is also considering the proposal
for Hospital Mesra, she added.