365 days without a general hospital
KINABALU, 5 Nov 2009: Sabah Progressive Party (SAPP) would hand over
petition to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on Sunday
pressing him to solve the chaotic health and medical care services
Today is exactly 365 days Kota Kinabalu is without a General
Hospital. SAPP which started a signature petition on 29 August 2009
had asked the Prime Minister to "GIVE US BACK OUR GENERAL HOSPITAL
IN KOTA KINABALU".
At the close of the signature petition, a total of 4,028 signatures
were collected from all over the state. Out of this number, 1,211
were collected online and 2,817 were signed.
SAPP Wanita Chief Melanie Chia said the petition seeks Najib's good
office to hasten the reconstruction of the main tower block declared
unsafe in November 2008 and the expansion of the Queen Elizabeth
Hospital (QEH) in Kota Kinabalu.
"Nothing have been done even after the main block have been declared
unsafe for one year. This has caused lots of unnecessary problems
and grievances to the users of the hospital and their families.
Worst still, it is still the only referral general hospital in Sabah".
Melanie said in a statement, here, today.
Melanie who is also Luyang Assemblywoman said the petition carries
many signatures of the people from all parts of Sabah.
She said that the people were disappointed and frustrated when the
Budget 2010 omitted QEH!
People are further distressed learning the reconstruction of the
tower block will not kick off next year not to mention the expansion
program which has be stalled for many years.
"We are puzzled by the missing figure for QEH in the Budget 2010
after the Minister and the Deputy Minister of Health and the State
Cabinet led by Datuk Musa Aman had spoken so much about the crisis
faced! It is obvious to the people that the BN Government had not
done anything to put what they say into action! We are very
disappointed", Melanie said.
The Budget 2010 allocated RM14.8 billion under the Ministry of
Health for the construction or upgrading of hospitals in Bera (Pahang),
Alor Gajah (Melaka), Shah Alam (Selangor), Kluang and Tampoi (both
According to her, SAPP fears that the health and medical care
services here will worsen aggravating further the current congestion
and long queue for operations.
"The physical constraints will further aggravate the social
environment and create further stress to the patients and their
families and also the medical staff", she added.
"This is unacceptable. The people of Sabah deserves better health
and medical care services because we are part of Malaysia," she
SAPP Information Chief Chong Pit Fah had earlier said there is
possibility that Najib have not been briefed on the pressing need to
solve the health and medical care services here.
He had said that the Ministry of Health is responsible to provide
inputs to Najib who is also the Minister of Finance so that he could
prepare the Budget 2010 covering all aspect of the needs of the
people throughout the country. He had also lamented that the Deputy
Minister of Health Datuk Rosnah Abdul Rashid Shirlin, a Sabahan who
should be well aware of the QEH crisis did not make sure that the
reconstruction and the expansion is budgeted for.
Melanie said the Budget 2010 also missed out the BN promise to build
hospital at Nabawan, a sub-district in the interior.
She said BN failed to fulfill its promise during a campaign in the
2004 General Election and repeated it again in the 2008 election.
"These are the imbalances we have been talking about. Even when
promises are made, they are not fulfilled! How then can we count on
having the other socio-economic imbalances addressed", she said.